Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Salmon Creek Again

 Well, we enjoyed our last trip to Salmon Creek so much, that we just had to go back. We really want to find some of the bigger agates I keep seeing people find. Anyway, the day was gorgeous and we headed out again with a late start (as usual).

I decided we should check a different, less well known area of Salmon Creek, so we headed towards Merchant Road from highway 505. After we crossed the Salmon Creek bridge I noticed that the areas on the south side of the bridge had been clearcut very recently. We decided to stop and check it out, since so much ground was visible.


View Down Logging Road from Highway
We got out and headed down the road and right away discovered small chips of carnelian. I decided to check out all the tree stumps we passed, and sure enough I found this interesting little bit of river polished petrified wood.
Petrified Wood Hiding Near Tree Stumps
As we moved down the road towards the river, we started finding more and more pieces of carnelian in the road, where the rain had worn gullies in the road. I even found some really nice jasper.

View of Road Towards River and Highway
When we noticed how late it was getting, we decided to turn around and head back. Of course I had to check out one more spot where the loggers had made a clearing above the road. This was where I found my 10lb piece of petrified wood. I don't know how I knew to dig it up, but I'm glad I did. It almost looks like a big piece of a tree root. Wish I had a rock saw!
Who Knew This was Petrified Wood?
After heading back to the car, we decided to drive a ways down Merchant Road. Just around the corner was this neat old farmhouse and barn.

Old Farmhouse

Old Barn

All in all, we did pretty well for the day. We got home very late and tired, but the day and the outdoors were both wonderful.

Our Finds For the Day
Here's a closer view...

Close-up View
For further trip reports on this area, view the links below.

No comments:

Post a Comment