Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Strange New Mexico Crop Circle? Plus some Fluorite and Smokey Quartz

So, we are planning a trip to New Mexico soon and will probably be going to a family reunion in Ruidoso. So what do I do? I get to work seeing what I can find for rockhounding spots in the area. Right away I find another wilderness study by USGS. Why is it that every time I find a good rock hunting spot, the government has blocked it with a wilderness area? I discovered some of the most beautiful crystals are now closed up in a wilderness area. What a shame.


Sierra Blanca, White Mountain Wilderness, Lincoln Co., New Mexico


Anyway, after realizing that this area is not going to see me, I started looking for nearby areas and as usual I ended up a long way from where I started.

I got to read all about Fort Cummings, Cooke's Spring, Cooke's Peak, and the Butterfield Trail. Pretty interesting actually. I really liked the nearby Peak named Massacre Peak that I noticed on the map.

Fort Cummings
When I read about this stuff, I always check out the USGS map locator and look at the topographic maps of the area and Google Earth. I just love Google Earth. I can look at stuff that I want to see and have even pinpointed petrified logs using it. While looking at the topographic map, I noticed there were mines everywhere near Cooke's Peak. Some info I got from a mine claim for sale said that this mining area had lots of agate, jasper, quartz and petrified wood. Cool! I'm sure there's a USGS report about it. I just haven't found it yet.

Topographic Map Showing the Mines
Apparently there used to be a mining town called Cooke's Town at the bottom of the mountain. Woohoo! A ghost town! I also ran across another report, this one from the Museum of New Mexico discussing The Fluorite Ridge, Fluorspar Mines and I am ready to head out! 

New Mexico Fluorite - Fluorite Ridge


Anyway, while I was scrolling around using Google Earth, I noticed this VERY STRANGE IMAGE. Near the Fort Cummings area. I have no clue. it is not a mountain, It is not a mine, It is flat. It circles through the ground and lava. I'll let you all figure it out. I'm clueless, well not clueless. I might have an idea, but of course it involves the GOVERNMENT. Of course it does!


Strange New Mexico Crop Circle
So much to see, so little time! I'm ready to go now!

2 comments:

  1. WW2 bomber training targets. There are many in the area.. some between Las Cruces and Deming and 3 south of Deming against the west side of the Floridas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that! It figures it would be something military related.

    ReplyDelete